Main menu

Pages

What do you know about The Coptic Museum in egypt ?

The Coptic Museum in egypt 


What do you know about The Coptic Museum in egypt ?

The world's largest religious archaeological museum, described as the most important of all
Its walls witnessed the ugliest times of persecution in the Roman era, the era that was called the "era of martyrs", where Christians were subjected to abuse and torture throughout the first centuries of the birth of Jesus, peace be upon him, until the Roman Empire recognized Christianity.
"The Coptic Museum" .. that archaeological building, which was described as the most important Egyptian museum, due to the historical events that it witnessed reflecting the Christian situation during the period of Roman rule,
It is located in the Masr Al-Qadima neighborhood of Cairo, specifically within the walls of the Roman fortress known as the Babylon Fortress, and stands tall behind the remains of the fortress completely.
The idea of ​​the Coptic Museum began floating on the surface after the French Egyptologist, "Gaston Camille Charles Maspero", collected the Coptic art works that were scattered in many places in Egypt
He allocated one of the halls of the Egyptian Museum, and after he took over his administration in 1860, and with the increase in the number of artifacts that were found and crowded with the hall of the Egyptian Museum, he suggested the necessity of establishing an independent museum devoted to displaying Christian relics.
The Egyptian Coptic scholar, "Morkos Semeika Pasha", was the first to contribute to the establishment of the museum, where he called for the inclusion of the Coptic Antiquities Group to the interests of the Committee for the Preservation of Antiquities and Arts in 1893
And he struggled for more than seventeen years to collect donations for his construction from the Egyptians, until he opened in 1910 AD, becoming his first director until he passed away in October 1944.
He built a "thick" museum on the land of the Coptic Orthodox Church in the East, which was given to him by Pope Kyrillos V, and it consisted of two rooms inside the hanging church, because of the importance of the place and the greatness of its historical status
He remained subordinate to the Coptic Patriarchal Administration until 1931, when his dependency was transferred to the Ministry of Cultural Knowledge, and in 1947 the new wing was established, and the processes of developing its old and new wings began to open again in 1984, and in 1992,
The largest earthquake in Egypt occurred in the modern era. This earthquake destroyed a large part of the museum. Officials had to close it, and restoration began to open in 2006, after it was closed for a period of 14 years.
Once you set foot on the museum grounds, the Coptic art character mixed with ancient Egyptian traditions, Hellenic civilization, Byzantine and Islamic civilization will draw your attention, as its holdings combine artifacts and documents that help in studying the history of Egypt from the beginning of Christianity, and the museum consists of two buildings connected by a corridor Small, divided into 26 halls,
Collectibles are displayed in display lined up arranged neatly inside the halls.

The museum includes the most famous and most famous remains of the Roman Empire in Egypt, as they number 16 thousand artifacts. As for the most important holdings of the museum is the book "Psalms of David",
The only monument that is dedicated to allocating a whole hall for it, Hall No. 17, is the door of the Church of Saint Barbara, which was made of sycamore wood, and the altar of the Church of Saints Sergius and Lakhs, the most important wooden pieces in the museum
The "Escape Icon" is one of the most important holdings of the Coptic Museum, because it shows the journey of the Holy Family in Egypt, next to it a unique collection of minerals, dating back to the tenth century AD, was found in a cemetery in one of the abandoned churches in Fayoum, which are armored doors in bronze, in addition to a dome An altar also made of bronze, and the tools used for churches in lighting, adjacent to a large number of pottery tools and Coptic seals.
Once you cross the small passage and enter the old pavilion, we find a showcase containing Nile scenery that illustrates the fishing process, and others that show water plants, in addition to stone pieces representing the god "Nilus", the symbol of the Nile for the Greeks,
There are also a group of different engineering designs, some plant scrolls, such as grape leaves and acanthus plants, and a number of cornices decorated with rabbits, and some birds such as peacocks, in addition to tombstones found in Ahnasia in the early Coptic era, along with the oldest manuscripts of the book holy.
The Coptic Museum is located within the borders of the Roman fortress of Babylon, near the group of ancient churches (the Church of Abu Serraj, the Church of the Virgin Mary, famous for its “hanging”, as well as the Jewish Temple). The Coptic Museum was established during the year 1910 AD, and its purpose was to collect monuments and documents that contribute to enriching the study of Coptic art in Egypt.
Title:
3 Mary Gerges Street - Ancient Egypt - Babylon Fortress - Cairo
Visit dates:
9 am-5pm
Phone / fax:
+202 2712088
+202 25318058
+ 202 2387676
Entry tickets prices:
Egyptian 10 g
■ Egyptian student 5 g
Foreign 60 g
Foreign student 30 gm
reactions

Comments